Surrey History

The Surrey Inn has a rich history dating back to WWII, when the property was used as an airfield.  It was built in 1946 and was swim and tennis club for a time.   The Surrey Inn was a popular destination in the 1950s and continued to draw many visitors until the floods of 1996 rendered heavy damage to the facilities. The Surrey Inn main hall and pool were surrounded by small cabins for the guests.

Area History
The first inhabitants in the area were the Kashaya Indians and at the turn of the 19th Century, Russian people from Sitka, Alaska settled in the coastal area founding Fort Ross in 1811 and erected buildings at Bodega Bay. They had come to collect sea otter pelts and to grow food for their Alaskan colony. In 1841, being unable to adequately support themselves and Sitka, the Russians sold their stock at Fort Ross to John A. Sutter. After 1842 Americans began settling in the area as a result of Bear Flag Revolt, Mexican-American War, the Gold Rush, and California’s admission to the Union.

Logging of the Redwood forest and mining for quicksilver (mercury) were the primary interests in the area. The largest Redwood tree from this area was known as “the Monarch of the Forest” at a height of 367 feet 8 inches with a circumference of 45 feet. The oldest Redwood in the area was proved to be over 3,300 years old and would have attained a diameter of 17 feet when Christ was born. The boom of the logging industry was during the period of 1870 to 1910 and as a result of this, Guerneville acquired a nickname of Stumptown. Upon realization that lumber resources were finite and thanks to actions taken by James Armstrong much of these giants have been preserved. Railroads of narrow and broad gauge came into the area in the late 1800’s to serve as tools to the lumber and mining industries of the area.

And later these railroads served to provide a means for vacationers to come into the area from San Francisco and other areas. With the end of the logging and mining industries, vacationing and tourism became a major business for the Russian River area centered around Guerneville. Vacationing was the major attraction during the 1920’s until about 1935. But by 1935 as a result of various disasters and the economy, the railroads had gradually been dismantled. From the pioneer days of the area to the present, Guerneville and other Russian River towns, have managed to survive floods, fires, the 1906 earthquake, and other disasters.

Today the Russian River Area continues to grow at its own pace. Even with a few floods of our own time the Russian River continues to thrive. The Russian River remains a great vacation area for many people from around the world; a place where people come to enjoy its beaches along the river, to wander amongst the amazing Redwoods, and to enjoy its many other splendors from the vineyards to the Pacific Ocean. The River is home to people from all walks of life and we are all proud to be a part of the community. * Source: Russian River Historical Society.